Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sun Kissed

11:30 a.m. came all of the sudden this morning, and immediately the all too familiar routine kicked in of throwing on my bathing suit and grabbing a croissant to-go. No complaints here though... Arriving at the beach at high-noon, the sun was extra bright and shiney, therefore, I was going to rebel and NOT wear sunscreen. Good plan? Yeah, I thought so at the time.

Luana Baptista arrived from Portugal and to celebrate we ate a great meal. What better way to celebrate than to eat, right? Which is a realization that hit me, it's okay to be extremely joyful from food and having many conversations about food. These European treats have spoiled me for when I return to my homeland, and all I may eat that is closely relative is..... La Madeline. I have a feeling that I'm going to become a staple costumer for their business. Not only is food the topic of conversation, but the most conversation held is around the food. When dining here in Europe, the meals could easily last for over an hour. Which is double, maybe even triple the time we take in America. I wonder why we feel so busy that we can't sit and enjoy the company around us. I mean, I know I sure don't have time for that kinda stuff when I quickly grab Taco Smell.


So after eating muscles and a giant crab with avocado, it was time to go back to our spots of choice and to lay and soak up the beach. My pores legitimately smell of the salty water at a constant now, my hair  has officially become Blue Crush hair... and my body... boy, oh boy it is a bright shade of rouge. The whole 'the sun & me are friends now... & I don't need sunscreen' idea I had at the beginning of the day,  didn't play out so well. Leather skin is the new name I will be taking on...

After 6 hours of doing nothing but laying on the chairs, reading magazines and books, and taking underwater pictures, we finally headed back to the apartment. The sun was still out and that meant that the day was far from over, so Luana threw on her roller skates and I laced up my tennis shoes and we headed out to the coastal sidewalk. This run was great. This run made me feel at ease. The breeze was strong and the people were friendly.

I like this place.

The World Cup was blaring on the television and tuna pizza (yes, the topping was tuna, you read it right) was ready for us to devour after our lazy day at the beach. This whole 'Mediterranean lifestyle' is becoming something that is of the ordinary and it is bringing peace to my heart.

A plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment