Wednesday, July 14, 2010

La Journée de l'indépendance pour la France

I caught a fever from the sun and this morning it was brutal to wake up. First, my throat was about 8 mm from closing up, my headache from yesterday was still hanging around, I discovered that my muscles weighed 3x what they were supposed to and my neck obtained a crick in it. Blah! This was not on the schedule for today... 

Luey served me well, and eventually I had enough energy to put on my bikini and walk down to the beach with a little more pounding to my steps. We plopped down on the chairs and instantly I dozed back off to sleep. This was no good... no good at all. I don't like being sick. I never get sick. I especially shouldn't be getting sick while in France. I mean, come on, who does that?! 

The beach chair became my second bed and I was able to cool off in the water and then dry again from the sun while drifting back into a daze. My body needed some hydration... and an espresso. So as we laid down and talked about life and watched little Cesar dogs float on boogie boards, I thought things were shaping up... but turns out, the sun was still kicking my butt. 

We headed back to the apartment where there was a Portuguese meal of (what seemed like) mashed potatoes with Cod fish combined... but, there's probably a little more to it to make it such a family classic. Whatever it was, it was delicious. We sat around the table and made Mr. Brown jokes, and munched on cherries with seeds, and eventually the Magnum ice cream bar (which is now my favorite) came out for dessert. After filling ourselves up, we all sat on the couch and played Avatar on the computer with French subtitles. Le Avatar. I fell asleep of course, and stumbled back into my living quarters where the sleep continued for a solid 3 hours. 

Come on bod, do me some justice.. I'm on vacation!

Once waking up with the same systems, I was still pretty beat up, but the whole Baptista gang was behind me. Luey especially. We walked back down to the beach where we were going to relax and have dinner right on the coast. By the time dinner came around, my neck became as stiff as a lifeguard board. We ate delicious salmon on olive oil cooked bread, le french fries, and many other mouthwatering things while waiting for the Independence Day fireworks to begin. By this time, many people were all gathering to sit on the coast to celebrate France's big bash. Although similar to America's celebration, I'm going to dub France's fireworks better than ours... for this region at least. They seemed so elegant and precise. Maybe it was the ocean that did it... 

As I write this, Lucia whipped me up a secret healing tea that was full of citrus flavor and some medicine that will make me sweat out whatever fever I have through the night... 

Oh mon frère ...

1 comment:

  1. OH GREAT! Just what a dad wants to read a million miles away! This is going to sound stupid, but...call me if you need anything! I talked to Grandma and Grandpa last night for quite a while. I e-mailed the blog to them and explained how to do it. When you get back remind me to tell you what Grandpa said the first time he answered the phone.

    I love you so much and I hate that you are sick. Here's a Sprite, a magazine, some yogurt, some chicken soup, and above all...a hug and kiss. I love you and I miss you very much!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete